Sunday, February 19, 2006

Why I Love NASCAR

In honor of the Daytona 500, I take a break from politics to explain why I'm a NASCAR fan. With apologies to Dave Letterman, here are my ten reasons for loving NASCAR

1) God is part of the sport. There is a prayer before every race, and NO ONE objects. The participants almost always acknowledge God and they mean it. You can't help but respect that, no matter your religion

2) Patriotism. When the national anthem plays, the fans are all standing and singing. People remove their hats, cover their hearts and NO ONE is saying anything but the lyrics of our national song. Also, the military flyover before each race gets just as much of a cheer as anything that occurs on the track.

3) BYOB. Hey, who can disagree that it's a good thing for the tracks to allow people to bring their own food and beverage?

4) Scanners. Is there another sport where you can listen to the strategy of the participants? Can you imagine listening to the huddle during the Super Bowl?

5) The Old Guys. When a 50 year old icon can compete next to a 21 year old rookie and win...that's my kind of sport.

6) Daytona and Talledega. 43 cars...over 200mph...inches apart...very exciting

7) Fan loyalty. A fan is a fan for life. Your driver may not have won a race in years, but you still pull for him with every pass. He may be well out of points contention, but he could still win today's race...and that's why you cheer him on.

8) Greg Biffle. Soft-spoken, talented, under-rated. I had to plug my favorite driver. One loose wheel at TMS kept him from winning last year, but this year will be different. My prediction: Biffle holds up the Nextel Cup in December.

9) Martinsville. 1/2 mile track shaped like a paper-clip crammed with 43 cars...there's a lot of bumping and grinding. This also is exciting.

10) I don't have the guts to do it. I would stand in the batter's box and face Roger Clemens. I wouldn't even see the ball, much less get close to hitting it...but I would still try. I would square up with Jerome Bettis in full pads. He would leave cleat marks on my face...but I would still try. I would guard Shaq. He would throw me around like a rag-doll before dunking over my head...but I would still try. Ask me to get behind the wheel of 800hp, surrounded by 42 cars, bumper-to-bumper at 210mph, knowing that one tiny mistake from the guy five cars ahead could send me airborn...And I'd say NO WAY. Hence my respect for the guys doing it, and doing it well. You gotta love this sport.

5 comments:

Gayle said...

You know, you have given me a new perspective. I've never even watched one! But after reading the reasons you love it, I'm going to give it a shot! I love the fact they still pray and are patriotically respectful. Thanks! :)

Dionne said...

I think Nascar is great!!

I've noticed your comments on Rebecca's blog and have enjoyed them. I especially liked today's about Baldwin and Dreyfuss needing to focus on making movies that don't suck. I always remember Dreyfuss playing in that "What about Bob?" movie. Now it is kind of funny to think that maybe Dreyfuss's character is what he is like in real life. A little too full of himself and likely to end up in a looney bin :-).

Malinda777 said...

Well said. My sport is football, but many in my family are die hard NASCAR. Heck, my father in law even has the subscription via laptop with real time stats and vocals...he has every race on the TV and the laptop, well... in his lap.

Here from Texas Connection

TexasFred said...

NASCAR rocks... The race was really nasty today, the weather was terrible... And Helton didn't *call* the race...

Congrats to JJ on the win, you know Knaus was on the phone the whole time...

And damn... Kurt Busch looked SO good crashing... :)

Yeah, I'm a NASCAR guy... And if you think I'm bad, you need to be here and see how the wife reacts....

TexasFred said...

And I have never seen such a bunch of excuses and crybabies...

By God, when Petty was KING and Cale, Donnie, Bobbie, David Pearson, Fireball and the like were racing, the whole thing was, "Rubbin's Racing..."

Buck up and get tough ya overpaid bunch of sissies...