Tuesday, February 28, 2006

State of the Black Union

I've watched bits and pieces of the State of the Black Union hoping to hear something encouraging in the new 'Covenant with Black America' that is being proposed by the founders of the conference. Unfortunately, it's more of the same thing.

Apparently, since I'm a white male, it's my fault that poverty has run rampant through the black community. In fact, I'm partly to blame for poverty in all demographic groups. I learned that it's wrong for me to be successful and make my own money, because by doing that I somehow suppress black America. Capitalism has worked for me, which means I'm the 'man' and should be hated by those who haven't taken advantage of the oppurtunities provided by our economic system.

Obviously, that was upsetting to me because I have nothing against black America. If it were up to me, everyone would work hard and be true to their family, take responsibility for themselves and NOT depend on the government for handouts...but it's not up to me. So all I can do is take care of my business and keep my little part of the world in order. I've done what was necessary to provide for my family and ensure a bright future. I've made the proper sacrifices. Perhaps that's why black America and the 'poor' hate me. I don't know. But I'm thinking that if black America learned a lesson from people like me who take care of themselves, then maybe they'd be able to pull themselves out of poverty. Maybe this would be more productive than pointing fingers and blaming those who have succeeded for their own lack of success...just a thought.

Then again, the leadership of the black community isn't exactly encouraging personal sacrifice and hard work. There's a lot of money to be made in the 'victimization' industry. If black America were to suddenly lift itself out of poverty, then Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson would be out of a job. So why would they want their 'people' to succeed? Lesson number one in how to succeed in a capitalist society: Consider the salesman before buying the message. I think black America has failed in this, seeing that they've bought Jesse Jackson's victim message in whole.

Jesse Jackson's answer to the problems facing black society? More money. If only the government would spend more money on entitlements and handouts then poverty would vanish and the black race would find itself on the road to success. Does anyone out there buy this? I realize that the majority of my audience has succeeded in this society, so the majority answer to that question will likely be no. But in case there are a few Lefties out there, consider this: Since the Great Society programs were implemented, America has spent nearly 5 trillion dollars to combat poverty...the money has gone to very type of entitlement programs and handouts that the black leadership says we need more of. So how much has our 'investment' returned? Surely 5 trillion dollars has gone a long way in eliminating poverty. Actually, no. Instead, things have gotten worse. Poverty rates have gone up. Illegitimate births have gone up. Teenage pregnancy and drug use in adolescents has increased. Rates of sexually transmitted disease and new AIDS cases in the black community have gone up. And they want MORE money?

Laura Ingraham used a good analogy yesterday. If you were raising a child who kept misbehaving and getting into trouble, would you continue writing him check after check to bail him out of his problems, or would you try to teach him the proper values and principles in order to teach him to avoid trouble in the first place? Eventually, I stop writing checks. Perhaps the government should take this advice, because the status quo isn't working. "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for life." I'm for teaching the poor how to fish...in the end it's much less taxing on us all.

10 comments:

Dan Trabue said...

"If it were up to me, everyone would work hard and be true to their family, take responsibility for themselves and NOT depend on the government for handouts...but it's not up to me."

Do you understand how racist this comment sounds? In context, the implication being that you are all of the above and that black americans are not?

I didn't hear the state of the union you mentioned but as one who is regularly amongst the "black church" and lives in a "black community," you can't be around folk long without hearing our black brothers and sisters say in great detail how the black community needs to pull itself together. "Black men need to be their for their families and neighborhoods," is an especially common theme.

No one hates you because you're successful - that's just another myth perpetuated by the well-off to justify their policies.

WomanHonorThyself said...

You dont racist at all. anyone can read the stats on single parent households in the black community , bout pregnant teenagers, bout dead beat dads, etc etc etc..its called FACTUAL..and thanks for havin the courage to call it the way it is.

Gayle said...

Excellent! No, you are not racist! Neo Con at
http://caucasianally-challenged-christian.
blogspot.com/
a black blogger, would agree with that statement. I don't know whether you are acquainted with him or not, but he has written many posts on this very subject, and this one could have been written by him! :)

Gayle said...

Apologies: I meant "Neo Soc" not Neo Con.

Dan Trabue said...

Before you put words in my pen, note that I did not call John a racist. I asked him if he understood how racist that sounds.

Just a clarifying note, because I am often misquoted.

John Washburn said...

Dan, I'm glad you commented because I think this shows why these problems haven't been addressed. When someone points out things like I did, that are factually based, then inevitably the word "racist" is pulled out. This then turns the argument into a debate about race rather than a debate about teenage pregnancy, or drug abuse or illegitimate births. And thus the real problems don't get addressed. I don't criticize the black mainstream...I criticize the black leadership, or lack thereof. Because until these problems are addressed they will continue to plague the black population much more so than the rich white man.

Joubert said...

Dan said: "I asked him if he understood how racist that sounds."

Do you know how snide that sounds? Typical liberal attempt at guilt-inducing nonsense from someone who says on his blog:

"I would embark on a peaceful plan to overthrow the human race and make the world safe to be green. And I'd definitely go vegetarian, as I hate flies."

Nice and self-righteous.

Dan Trabue said...

But I think John isn't racist and cares what folk of other races may think about his comments and I can tell you for a fact, that a good number of people of all races will find John's comments condescending at least and racist at worst.

No attempt to induce guilt, just an attempt at increasing the lines of communication between us all.

And so I shared that opinion, for what it's worth.

As to my comment on my blog, I'd point out that you failed to say that the comment was writ in jest in response to a silly question ("how would you live your life as a frog?" "Peacefully overthrow human race...")

Don't go citing things out of context, please, or you may give people the wrong idea. I'm sure you wouldn't want to do that, would you?

Dan Trabue said...

Sorry, just one more clarifying point:

You want to test to see if this is a racist in theory if not intent essay? Substitute white for black and see how it sounds.

" But I'm thinking that if white America learned a lesson from people like me who take care of themselves, then maybe they'd be able to pull themselves out of poverty."

That's a comment (and the rest, as well) on a whole race of people in our country. That's defined as racism - saying, "all blacks do this," "all whites do that..."

racism - The belief that race accounts for differences in human character.

Because I believe John when he says he has nothing against blacks, I wanted to point out that these comments are nonetheless racist by definition. I thought John would be concerned and want to correct that.

Yes, John, people are worried about "sounding" racist, and they should be concerned given our relatively recent history. That's a good thing. It shouldn't stifle debate and if you want to talk about "the poor who make bad decisions, who need to learn from people like me," that's one thing, but talking about "black America," as a group is another.

Thanks for listening.

John Washburn said...

Again, I hesitate to "defend" my remarks because I want people to discuss the problems facing black America. And we aren't doing that if this becomes a question of racism. But, if I'm generalizing about black America, it's because black America (at least the leadership who claims to speak for the entire group) has made similar generalizations, in that white America and the rich are the enemy and are to blame for their problems. Why aren't they criticized for "sounding" racist? They don't challenge their people to overcome their problems as Dr King would have done, instead they teach how to assign blame. There is nothing in my comments that needs correcting because my comments deal with REAL problems that will NEVER go away if we fear that pointing them out will make us appear racist. I want black America to rise above their problems, and they will NEVER do this on the current path that they've chosen. Hopefully, a respectable leader will emerge one day to lead his or her people to the promised land that Dr King once spoke of!