Monday, February 20, 2006

An old nemesis returns

From NewsMax: Complete story

"A top Pentagon official who was responsible for tracking Saddam Hussein's weapons programs before and after the 2003 liberation of Iraq, has provided the first-ever account of how Saddam Hussein "cleaned up" his weapons of mass destruction stockpiles to prevent the United States from discovering them.
"The short answer to the question of where the WMD Saddam bought from the Russians went was that they went to Syria and Lebanon," former Deputy Undersecretary of Defense John A. Shaw told an audience Saturday at a privately sponsored "Intelligence Summit" in Alexandria, Va. (www.intelligencesummit.org).
"They were moved by Russian Spetsnaz (special forces) units out of uniform, that were specifically sent to Iraq to move the weaponry and eradicate any evidence of its existence," he said.
Shaw has dealt with weapons-related issues and export controls as a U.S. government official for 30 years, and was serving as deputy undersecretary of defense for international technology security when the events he described today occurred...."


This story is stunning, but not surprising. The fact is, I've never trusted the Russians since Yeltsin left office. Their politicians have their own agenda and I truly believe it involves restoring the Communist Party. The rivalry with the US never died, and this story supports that. I prepared a post on WMDs for tomorrow, and this story is an excellent set-up for it. I hope everyone reads the article I linked to and takes a moment to soak it in before my next post. America has many enemies!

3 comments:

Nathan Bradfield said...

Very nice blog you have here. You have a passion to make a difference and your book looks very good. May I recomment installing Haloscan on your blog to allow trackbacks? Get it at www.haloscan.com...it has an auto-installer for blogspot. I blogrolled you as well. Feel free to do the same with me. Nice post.
Nathan Bradfield - Church and State
http://nathanbradfield.blogspot.com

John Washburn said...

Thanks for the tip Nathan. I've been looking for a way to add trackback capability.

The Chief said...

The Isrealis were tell us this several years ago, but apparently no one was listening.

I spent my military career studying Soviet weapons, tactics, startegies, and politics and I fully agree that the enemy ths USSR was has never gone away, it's just weakened for now.