Monday, February 27, 2006

Happy Mardi Gras

I returned today from New Orleans where I joined in the Mardi Gras celebration. I am a member of one the parading 'Krewes' that have made the celebration famous and when they decided to parade again this year, I decided to be there with them.

Many people have criticized the city for staging a celebration at a time of disaster...I disagree. I rode on one of the mammoth floats through the Garden District to the Warehouse District and on to the downtown area. We passed many blue roofs and houses in bad need of repair. I saw a lot of destruction. But I also saw people having fun. I saw smiles and cheers. I saw children and adults enjoying themselves, perhaps for the first time in six months. I saw a city in desperate need of a distraction, if only for a few days.

Before we criticize, we should remember that New York held the Macy's parade and Times Square celebration after 9/11. San Francisco held a World Series after the 1989 earthquake. New Orleans is not alone when it comes to cities that have needed healing over the years. Mardi Gras is a part of that city and without it, New Orleans just isn't New Orleans.

I'm not sure what the future may hold for the Crescent City. Hopefully the politicians will get their heads out of their you-know-what and take action for the people, but that's a long shot. I don't know if New Orleans will ever be the same, but I do know that the people of that city needed Mardi Gras...and it came not a moment too soon.

So here's to you N'awlins, Happy Mardi Gras!

1 comment:

WomanHonorThyself said...

Happy happy to u too!..jus wish the Mardi Gras wouldnt be as decadent..sigh..I worked with victims of Katrina and.... those pple sure could use some laffs so hey N'Awlins..Party Hardy!