Monday, August 14, 2006

The Big Easy and the Big Sucker

Houston took in 150,000 evacuees _ the most of any U.S. city _ after Katrina struck on Aug. 29. Houston police believe the evacuees are partly responsible for a nearly 17.5 percent increase in homicides so far this year over the same period in 2005.

About 21 percent of Houston's 232 homicides through July 25 involved an evacuee as either a suspect or a victim, according to police, who attribute much of the bloodshed to fighting among rival New Orleans gang members.

"I don't think Texas really knows what they got,"

I laughed when I first read that last line because as I watched the events unfold, the moment I heard Houston was opening its arms for the refugees, I said the same thing.

I know this will sound naive, but it seems to me that when an entire city, indeed an entire state offers to lend its support, to give these people food and a place to sleep...it seems to me that there would be a little gratitude. I knew there never would be, but I still held out a little hope. So much for that.

Meanwhile, crime in New Orleans has gone in the other direction, so I'm sure they are very much appreciative of Houston's kindness. Now, if they can only figure out how to rebuild with only 98 billion dollars.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree, John. It's a shame that so many people expected support without also appreciating it.

However, I must disagree about New Orleans crime going "in the other direction." According to Dr. Peter Scharf, a criminologist at the Univ. of New Orleans, the city "hit 39 or 40 homicides in the second quarter of 2006 (April-June) translating to one of the highest annualized homicide rates in the US."
http://www.bayoubuzz.com/articles.aspx?aid=7902

So it sounds like at least some of the criminals have found their way home. --Deano

C R Mountjoy - GDF said...

I'm with you, brother...I'm froim NO. The good news is that crime in NO is down over 75%. The bad news is crime in Dallas and Houston is up 50%.

The numbers above are right...but in relative terms, absent of a metro pop of 2 million, 39 drug/gang nuts killing each other is a good thing.

Lezze Les Bon Temps Roulle

John Washburn said...

That's "Let the Good Times Roll" for those of you not from the bayou