Monday, April 03, 2006

Would you consider Doritos a luxury item?

Yesterday my wife witnessed something quite remarkable, and my blood pressure has still not recovered from her account of it. She was standing in line at a local convenience store. In front of her were a woman and her (supposedly) 4 children, ages approximately 7-12.

This woman weighed at least 300 pounds (and my wife does not exaggerate), yet her 4 children looked as though they had missed their share of meals. When it came their turn to check out, they emptied their arms onto the counter. Here is their shopping list: Two bags of Doritos (large bags), 2 packages of Ding-Dongs, 2 packages of Sno-Balls, one Icee, 4 sodas, 3 burritos and an assortment of candy including Twix and Snickers. Her purchases were totaled and she paid with...you guessed it...food stamps.

Now, I suppose one could put forth a hardy argument about why food stamps are a good thing, and why the taxpayer should foot the bill to feed those less-priviledged. But can anyone, even the most liberal of bleeding hearts, justify what I just described?

First, these people are buying what I consider luxury items. Ding-dongs and Doritos are not a human right, they are priviledges reserved for those of us who can afford them. Sound silly? Maybe so, but I don't like the idea of American tax dollars being spent in such a way.

Second, we already have a HUGE health problem bubbling as America grows more and more overweight. Obesity rates are climbing very fast among our youth. Many of these kids will become diabetic. They will require expensive health care. Who's going to pay for that? You guessed it...the taxpayer. And, apparently, we're literally feeding the problem through our foodstamp program.

This is beyond ridiculous, and I thought I should share it with all of you.

5 comments:

TexasFred said...

At least she stuck with the major food groups...

Doritos

Sno-Balls

Twinkies

Icees

That's a well rounded meal, if you a 20 year old pot-head with the munchies..

Gayle said...

I see it all the time John. Extremely overweight people buying junk food with food stamps. It doesn't make any sense to me. I think they should be limited to buying only the basic food groups with food stamps.

Awhile back before I had a washer and dryer installed and had to run to the laundromat to do laundry, I would see these women sitting in the laundromat actually selling their foodstamps! I really wanted to say something, but there were about 8 of them and only one of me, and if any one of them had sat on me I would have been a gonner!

Your post here makes an excellent point. :)

TexasFred said...

Gayle, I saw one that sent me thru the roof, this woman came to the checkout just ahead of us and had a 50# bag of Purina Dog Chow, the clerk rang it up and she whipped out food stamps, the clerk told her they couldn' accept food stamps for dog food...What does she do??

"Doan make no f'in' diffunce, I'll gets da dog some steak, dat dog'll like it mo better anyway.."

Now, right there was where I went ballistic, and the SAD part is, there's NOTHING we can do, if it's PEOPLE food, it's covered...

Dan Trabue said...

Yes, many time poor folk make bad decisions. I reckon that's part of the reason they're poor. What do you expect?

But, it sure is fun to take them down a few notches by pointing out how stupid they are, isn't it?

huh! Dumb fat poor people!

TexasFred said...

It's OK Dan, they always have the little bleeding heart libberpukes like you to fight for em...