Tuesday, April 04, 2006

TR...where are you when we need you?

This quote was sent to me by a friend, thanks for the blog material, Rob. Teddy Roosevelt was not only a tough S.O.B., but he was also pretty smart. God knows Washington could use wisdom like his nowadays.

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, heshall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrageto discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Amen, Mr. President. Where are men like you when we need them most?

3 comments:

Gayle said...

John, this is really weird! I just posted the exact same thing, only I also posted more quotes from Roosevelt. You and I are now sharing the same brain. Spooky! :)

Gayle said...

I'd do a trackback if I understood how it works.

LittleOleLady said...

I found this quote a few months ago and it seems so fitting these days. I intend to use it every chance I get, as well as this one..

"This country has lost control of its borders. No country can do that and survive."
-President Ronald Reagan

I also used the Roosevelt quote in the letter I sent about the immigration problem to the pres, vp and my state rep and senator..

Lets keep reminding them everyone..