Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Leave my cuticle scissors alone

While travelling the other day I saw something quite disturbing. A young attractive woman, no less than 8 months pregnant and carrying a toy poodle, had been singled out for a random airport security search. Either Bin Laden has resorted to using poodles as suicide bombers, or we've officially taken political correctness to an absurd extreme.

Unless I'm mistaken, the 9/11 hijackers were all young Arab males. So why are we pulling aside the pregnant poodle-toting woman? Well, because the worst possible crime you can commit nowadays is offending someone, especially if that someone happens to be Muslim. After all, if these people will burn their neighborhood down over a cartoon, can you imagine what they'll do when you take away their mustache trimmers?

Did you know that it's "official" policy that an airline is NOT permitted to search more than 2 Arab people per flight? So, as Ms Coulter says, if 2 Arabs are searched, then Bin Laden himself can board the plane and the airline can't do a thing about it without breaking the law. So he can hijack an airliner, but at least he won't be offended while doing it.

Has our government taken any sort of action against, or even an evaluation of, the flow of Muslims into the US since 9/11? Have we called for official denouncement of Islamic extremists from Islamic nations? Have we closed the immigration loopholes that allowed the 19 hijackers to enter our country? The answer: No, No and No. But try to carry a pair of cuticle scissors onto a plane and your bags are searched like you were a member of the Colombian Cartel.

What's wrong with cuticle scissors? These things aren't cheap you know. I don't know about anyone else, but if the guy next to me pulls out a pair of cuticle scissors and starts heading towards the cockpit, I'm gonna kick his ass, take his scissors and shove them where the sun doesn't shine before he gets anywhere close...that is if the armed air marshall doesn't get him first. I'm pretty sure the majority of Americans would react the same way. But somehow cuticle scissors and fingernail clippers (and apparently poodles) have been identified as major security threats. Perhaps if we eliminated these things as threats, then maybe we could send the extra airport security to the border...I think they'd serve the country better by confiscating machine guns in Laredo rather than nail files in DFW.

It's been nearly 5 years since 9/11. I walk through the airport and I lose my cuticle scissors while they search the bags of a pregnant woman and her poodle. Does anyone out there feel safer about flying? Not me. I'd feel safe if I saw a line of Arabs waiting for their bags to be searched. Hey, if it was a group of white Texas males that carried out 9/11, then I'd fully expect to have my bags searched every time I tried to do anything affiliated with travel. Maybe if they'd police their own a little better, then they wouldn't have to deal with the "profiling" and the offense that comes with it, and we wouldn't have to worry about all the dangerous cuticle scissors in the hands of the wrong people...not to mention the poodles.

2 comments:

Joubert said...

But the poodle may have been a bomb. Amd maybe the "pregnancy" was one too.

Anonymous said...

2 Arabs a day? As I recall it was more than 3 on one flight that flew planes into various buildings on 9/11.