Monday, March 06, 2006

A call for action against those guilty of treason

Below is a copy of a letter that I will be sending to the Attorney General of Kansas, Phill Kline, as well as US Attorney General Alberto Gonzales. Yes, I realize it's a long shot and will likely fall on deaf ears. I realize I'm fighting an uphill battle, but someone needs to expose this group for what they are. If I fail in my efforts, then so be it. It won't be from lack of trying. At the very least, I'd like to hear from the authorities WHY they feel this group has not committed treason against the United States. If I get a response, it will be posted on this site.

Dear Sir,

I am sure that you are aware of the Westboro Baptist Church of Topeka, Kansas and their leader, Fred Phelps. In case you are not, then I highly recommend you browse their website at http://www.godhatesfags.com/main/index.html to get an idea of what this church stands for. The Westboro Baptist Church engages in extreme degrees of anti-American and anti-military rhetoric. I have copies of several fliers that they distribute as examples of such rhetoric. I understand the concept and the importance of free speech, but I feel the behavior of Westboro Baptist Church has crossed a line. I believe these people, and their leader in particular, are guilty of treason. The purpose of this correspondence is to request that your office, as representatives of the people, seek to bring charges of treason against Mr. Phelps and his church.

I realize the controversy involved, but please look further. Healthy dissent and civilized debate about the merits and legality of war is one thing. Praising our enemies for their actions, encouraging further attacks on American soldiers and picketing funerals of dead soldiers is quite another. Bringing charges against these people would at the very least expose their treasonous behavior to the rest of the nation and discourage more such behavior, and at the most would lead to a conviction with a well-deserved punishment for Mr. Phelps. If Mr. Phelps and his church were to be put before a jury in Kansas, one never knows what may happen.

You will no doubt come under scrutiny for bringing such charges, but I ask you to remember your responsibility to the people. Doing the right thing rarely involves an unimpeded path and smooth seas, but that doesn’t change the fact that it’s right. People like Mr. Phelps must be sent a message from the citizens of America. We will tolerate free speech, but we will not tolerate the irresponsible handling of such a freedom.

This letter will be placed on my website at http://whenevilprospers.blogspot.com as well as a copy of your response. I eagerly anticipate your thoughts and your decision.


God Bless You,

2 comments:

TexasFred said...

Hammer em to hell and back John, consider this MY signing the letter...

I know Phelps and his ilk call it *free speech* but once in a while, free speech can get your ass kicked...

Anonymous said...

Treason and Slander.

Lets get 'em.