Saturday, March 04, 2006

An ally is an ally

I realize I’m often late to post on some heated topics. It’s not because I’m lazy, but more because I like to gather as much information as possible before I take a firm position. That way I put myself in the best position possible to defend that opinion…thus making it an informed opinion. The UAE port deal is no different. Many conservatives oppose this deal, including many of my fellow bloggers whose opinion I respect. I’ve left comments on several of your sites in opposition of your point of view, so I feel it’s only fair for me to explain myself fully. The first thought that came to mind when I first heard of this port deal was: "there must be more to it." Bush is too tough on defense to throw caution to the wind. As it turns out, there is more. So here goes, point by point, why I don’t have a problem with the UAE.

1) The UAE are our allies. This can’t be denied. Ask the military. Yes, they supported the Taliban at one time, but after 9/11 Bush made it clear that a line has been drawn, “either with us, or with them” was basically what he said. Well, the UAE made their decision and chose to stand with us, unlike many of our traditional allies. I respect that. And anyone who steps up willing to kill terrorists is a friend of mine...I don't care if they're from Mars. No, they don’t recognize Israel, but very few of our allies are perfect. Remember, the Soviet Union was with us in WW II. What can’t be denied is that they’ve helped us wage war against terrorists and those who wish to do harm. They are one of the few Arab nations who have truly stood with us, and I don’t have a problem embracing them as a friend until they give me a reason otherwise.

2) They are capitalists. Let it be clear, I LOVE capitalism. It’s what makes the world go ‘round. When people start striving for financial success, yes bad things can happen, but overall it’s good for everyone. Businesses put people to work which reduces poverty and we can’t deny that poverty is a major driving force in the hatred of America. When business succeeds, the one thing they want is more success. Capitalism creates greedy SOBs, and greedy SOBs have no interest in terrorism, they just want more money. Think about it. If the people of Iraq somehow began purchasing SUVs and cellphones, how long would it take them to lose interest in the ‘devil’ America. Such is the case with the UAE. And let’s face it, attacking or waging war with America is simply bad for business. Just ask Saddam and the Taliban. The UAE seeks to expand their financial empire and this leaves little room for terrorist activity. So I think we should support them in their business venture. It’s more lucrative than terrorism.

3) What other option is there? I firmly believe in the adage that “if you’re not part of the solution, you’re part of the problem”. I understand the concerns of true conservatives (not the GOP politicians who are clearly using this to distance themselves from a President with a low approval rating in an election year). I understand the hesitancy of allowing an Arab business to run our ports, but does anyone out there have a better idea? There are only 4 companies in the world capable of handling this job. Two are Chinese, and I think the Chinese already own enough of our country. One is based in Singapore, home of nearly 1 millions Muslims. Of the four, the only one based in an allied nation is Dubai and apparently they are the only one willing to take deal and work with our stubborn unions. Someone has to manage these ports. All I’m hearing from the opposition is opposition without counter-proposals. That’s hardly constructive debate. So I ask, does anyone have a better option?

4) They are already here. A military caller on Laura Ingraham’s radio show made the point that the UAE military trains with us here in the US mainland. UAE pilots fly F15 aircraft out of US bases. No one has a problem with this. In fact, Hillary Clinton supported it when it was proposed post-9/11 which shows the role that politics is playing with this issue. If we trust them to fly our warplanes in our airspace, why can’t we trust them to manage our ports, especially when they won’t be handling the security of those ports?

So that’s it. That’s why I don’t have a problem here. I’m not blindly supporting Bush, God knows I’ve had my issues with him. I’ve evaluated the situation and I simply find no threat here outside of what we face on a daily basis. Feel free to disagree, it’s all in the spirit of healthy debate.

3 comments:

TexasFred said...

An ally?? Perhaps.. But that doesn't necessarily make them totally trustworthy... IF we have to take this deal, I say OK, we can't fight it but we MUST be ever vigilant... Iran WAS an ally too... Once upon a time...

John Washburn said...

Excellent point Fred. Iran was an ally 'til Jimmy Carter screwed the Shah. Had that not happened, the Ayatollah may have never come to power and Iran may still be our ally today. I know it's off-subject, but just another illustration of how horrible a leader Carter was!

Anonymous said...

It has nothing to do with the UAEs ally or enemy stance. Islamic Terrorists come from the Mideast and this will make it easier for them. Again, it has nothing to do with trust of the UAE.