Thursday, March 09, 2006

Dubai and politics

So apparently the Dubai Ports deal is now dead. Many will be relieved by this, and understandably so. I've said in the past that I can relate with the concerns that many have expressed about this and I made my case why I supported the deal.

But frankly, I'm rather disgusted with the behavior of our political leaders. What started as a call for a full 45 day review of the company turned into a race between Republicans and Democrats to be the first to pass a law defeating the proposal. In an election year, it's important to be able to thump your chest and tell the voters how tough you are on defense. Yep, it's politics as usual in Washington and I for one am getting sick of it.

I wonder what Trent Lott or Bill Frist or Harry Reid would say if the UAE decided not to allow us use of their airspace, or no longer turn over terrorist suspects. Would anyone blame them? I mean, if an Arab nation kicked an American company out of their country strictly because it was American, I'd be a little P.O.'d. So I hope this doesn't hinder us in the war on terror. After all, that's priority number one for America. Do we need the UAE? Of course not...but every friend helps and I'm afraid we may have lost one here. I for one will remember this come November...not because it didn't turn out how I wanted, but because I'm tired of our politicians acting so much like politicians.

No comments: