Saturday, May 06, 2006

DaVinci and Darwin

This post may be a little off-topic as I move from politics to theology. I've recently read a few news reports about some Christian groups talking about boycotting the new movie The DaVinci Code. For those who are not familiar, this movie (based on the bestselling novel) is centered around the theory that Christ was married to Mary Magdelene and fathered a child and from this child a subsequent bloodline developed that thrives today. This secret has been guarded by a special sect of the Catholic Church that has resorted to extreme means to guard it. That's the theory and many Christians are up in arms about it.

Now, to illustrate my opinion I'll draw a parallel to another theory that has many Christians offended, that of Darwin's evolution. Personally, I have no problem with someone saying that humans evolved from a single-celled organism, via an ape-like species. I just don't see how that threatens my religious belief which states that God created man in his own image (which to me means that man is the only of God's creation with an eternal soul). The Bible tells us that but does NOT specify how God did this. So, if someone theorizes that God created a lifeless biomass that spurred a single-celled organism that eventually led to all life, including humans whom God eventually equipped with an eternal spirit, then I say...OK, sounds as good as anything else, and it does not threaten my core belief. I'm certainly not going to get upset about it and start an argument.

The same can be said about the big bang theory. The universe began with a boom? Sure. If that's how you think God did it, well then OK. Again, it sounds about right and doesn't threaten my belief. If anyone out there disagrees and IS offended by these ideas, then I'd love the hear your thoughts.

Now, back to DaVinci. My belief states that Christ was the unblemished Son of God who made the supreme sacrifice in order for humans to be granted salvation, freed from their sins, and allowed access to God. "Unblemished" means free from sin. This means He must be born from a virgin and NEVER commit a single sin His entire life. The DaVinci Code suggests that Christ was married and fathered a bloodline. Even if this were true, it would still NOT threaten my religion nor my salvation because the Bible does not suggest that marriage and sex within marriage is sinful. So this book and movie doesn't really offend me. Now, if one wanted to say that it challenged the Bible on the fact that the Bible does not mention Christ's marriage, then I could buy into that. After all, if Christ were married, wouldn't the Bible have made mention of it? Because of that, I don't believe in The DaVinci Code theory. I simply don't think Christ was married because it didn't say so in the Bible, not that it really matters to me if He was. To me, either way He is still the unblemished Son of God who saved my soul. Does anyone disagree with me? I'm certainly not a theologic expert and if I'm way off base I'd love to hear from you.

As far as the movie is concerned, I will choose not to see it because I read the book and it really wasn't very good. The critics love it because it is portrayed as an attack on Christianity. I read it out of curiosity and was thoroughly disappointed. If the book were about any other topic, I truly believe it would have flopped. I feel the same about the movie, and I will choose to skip it.

4 comments:

Gayle said...

I choose to skip it as well. I also read the book.

You won't find me disagreeing with you, because I believe the same way you do. There was a post on evelution on someone else's blog. The administrator of that blog was posting why he doesn't believe in evolution. Someone was disagreeing with him. I wrote that it doesn't matter one way or the other to me, because evolution doesn't disprove God. If we evolved, then God caused that to happen, just as He did everything else. If evolution were ever proved, it has nothing to do with disproving God's existance or his creation of everything. The same with whether Jesus was married or not; I don't believe he was.

The atheists and the moonbats of course will say that if Jesus were married, then he really wasn't God's son and many will fall for that. This movie is meant to hurt Christianity, which is another reason I won't go to see it.

Sorry... didn't mean to write a post here! Good post, John. :)

Gayle said...

By the way, there's no such thing as an "off-topic" post. It's your blog. You can write about anything you choose! ;)

Dan Trabue said...

Hey! I agree nearly completely with all of ya!

My one point of disagreement is that I enjoyed the book and am looking forward to the movie.

Dan Trabue said...

"The critics love it because it is portrayed as an attack on Christianity."

Although I do wonder why y'all have made comments like this. It never even crossed my mind that this book was an attack until I heard something about it in the news long after I'd read it.

I'd have to say that a gazillion people don't read a book just because the critics love it, nor because it is an attack on Christianity.