Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Another teacher controversy

Teacher Accused Of Making Slur Against Mexicans

the teacher allegedly said "all Mexicans are criminals" and that they were "only born to clean floors."...Read more.

I consider myself to be a fair-minded person and I’m not afraid to call things as they are. I adamantly oppose illegal immigration and support closing the border and prosecuting illegals for their criminal behavior as well as those who hire them.

I also don’t support teachers who try to impose their personal views on their students. Regardless of how one feels or believes, it’s not the teacher’s job to bring those beliefs into the classroom regardless of the situation. So if this story is true, then I agree that this teacher should be fired, JUST LIKE I agree that Jay Bennish and Ward Churchill should be fired. I don’t see any difference in the three.

However, something tells me the Left would disagree. Something tells me that they will call for the ouster of this woman, and many of those will be the same ones who supported Bennish and Churchill. Where I come from, we call that hypocrisy.

This is one reason I have consistently voted Republican over the years. I see a vast difference in character among the members of the two parties. The Republicans seem to hold true to their principles while the Dems seem to let the situation dictate theirs. Such fence-riding is not the kind of behavior I like to see among my leaders.

We’ll see what happens with this teacher. If the Dems hold true to their arguments supporting Bennish and Churchill, then they should support this teacher by claiming her remarks are freedom of speech. And then pigs will fly, there’ll be snowball fights in hell and the Saints will win the Super Bowl.

2 comments:

Dan Trabue said...

I'm not especially familiar with the Churchill and Bennish cases, but a quick search in to controversy around their names seems to indicate that they were expressing their political opinions (in Bennish's case, as a teacher) whereas this teacher was expressing racism, not political opinions.

If the teacher had called the US the greatest nation in the world and justified for the Iraq invasion because of a, b and c, then it would be in the realm of the justifiable (and that happens in schools every day and teachers are not being fired) although a matter of concern (expressing political opinions in classes outside of Social Studies is usually a bad idea and moreso the younger the children are).

But, a school board or individual school is well within its rights and duties to fire or discipline teachers expressing racist remarks.

Apples and oranges, it seems to me.

Dan Trabue said...

I find Churchill's remarks distasteful, but it is not hate speech. Hate speech has typically been defined as speech denouncing an identifiable group of people - Asians, rednecks, Christians, etc. His remarks, while hate-ful were directed towards individuals, not a group.

Further, he's a college professor, apparently, and I think most colleges are rightfully more lenient in terms of free speech than most secondary or elementary schools.

If he were expressing racism, as this teacher did, then I'd agree with you. He was using freedom of speech to express unpopular political ideas. There is a difference.