In light of Fred Thompson’s surging popularity, it appears that the Democrats have aimed their guns his way. If you read any recent comments from the DNC, you will see that they are trying to paint him as a typical Washington bureaucrat, as a lobbyist who supports the big-government and as part of the “culture of corruption” in the Republican party. This is their gameplan. They want to portray Fred Thompson as someone who works for the party and not for the people. To that I say, cut the crap!
If there is one thing that brings the foul taste of bile into my mouth it’s Washington politics. The DNC and the RNC are in the business of deception and spin, with the mission to mislead, misinterpret and misinform. They do it all the time, and now they’re doing it to a fine man. Here is some basic background on Fred Thompson. If you’re interested in the truth, read along and decide for yourself if this guy is a typical Washington bureaucrat. If you’re interested in Democrat talking points, then go to another website and take another big gulp of Kool Aid because you don’t value the truth.
· As Chairman of the Senate Governmental Affairs Committee, Thompson enacted a law that required federal agencies to calculate and report the cost of regulations on taxpayers and businesses.
· Press reports stated: “He put heat on federal agencies by holding hearings on mismanagement and by asking them to tote up the improper payments they made each year.” That added up to about $20 billion in taxpayer dollars. His efforts saved taxpayers more than $2 billion in 2005-06 alone at the Department of Health and Human Services.
· He published a two volume report, “Government on the Brink,” detailing the waste, fraud, and abuse of federal agencies as well as the management challenges facing the incoming Bush Administration. Paul Light, a New York University professor and leading expert on government, said, “I consider him to be one of the most dedicated overseers of the executive branch of the last 25 years.”
· Twenty-five years after he’d gained national prominence as hard-charging counsel on the Watergate committee, Thompson again stepped into the investigation spotlight. In 1997, as chairman of the Senate Governmental Affairs Committee, he opened an investigation into attempts by the Chinese government to influence America policies and elections through, among other means, financing election campaigns. The investigation identified at least six Democrat donors and fundraisers, with ties to the Clinton Administration, who had laundered or aided in the laundering and distribution of foreign money into Democrat political party coffers. The investigation also exposed two Democrat Party donors with “a long-term relationship with a Chinese intelligence agency," according to the Senate committee’s report.
· In his eight years, Thompson, who served on the Finance Committee, supported and worked to enact three major tax-cut bills, reducing the federal tax burden on all of us.
· As a member of the Senate Intelligence Committee, Thompson focused on the threat of nuclear proliferation and technology transfers that could damage American industrial and national security.
· While a vocal supporter of free trade, Thompson has also fought to link free trade to our national security interests. For example, when voting to grant full-trading status to China, Senator Thompson fought unsuccessfully to include an amendment in the bill that would have required the president to impose sanctions against China if it violated nuclear-nonproliferation agreements. Thompson also served on the Intelligence Committee at a time when it examined the failings in intelligence and analysis leading into the September 11th terrorist attacks, as well as the reforms needed to better prepare for future threats.