Friday, September 15, 2006

One of Bin Laden's closest allies

Penn says Bush will bring fascism to America

As much as I hate to bring attention to this boneheaded actor-turned-activist, I just can’t resist the opportunity to respond to what this guy is doing. First, his words about Bush, Rumsfeld and the American Right mirror what Bin Laden would say. For a second I had to make sure this was a Sean Penn interview and not one of the infamous "tapes" released by America’s number one enemy. Although, I’m sure Bin Laden would say "well done" to Mr. Penn.

Dissent is healthy, but Penn’s words are destructive, dangerous and counter-productive to the nation and the soldiers that protect his right to say them. I personally make no distinction between him and the ‘insurgents’ that are detonating IED’s on Iraqi roadsides. In fact, he may be worse. At least the insurgents don’t try to hide their hatred of American soldiers.

As an actor, I like Sean Penn. I think he is talented at what he does. But he should stick to what he does and leave international diplomacy to those who belong in that arena. Case in point: Larry King asked him how Iraq was "going". Excuse me? Does Mr Penn have any military background that I’m not aware of? If not, then he should defer that question to those capable of answering it.

As for All The King’s Men, I will not be seeing it even though I think Penn is a talented actor. I just don’t think we should reward those in Hollywood who overstep their bounds with our hard-earned dollars.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you are overreacting. Everyone knows that Iraq is full of oil. so there are a lot of people who will try to say that the whole purpose of this invasion (and the maintained amercian presence) is this oil and not any sort of democracy. these people will not chnge their views, but they like to be reassured that that is true. and where there's a demand, there's a supply (you, as a writer, probably noticed that) people like Penn get publicity out of it. the way I see it, you should just ignore them. arguing with them just makes them more public.
On the other hand, you can't argue that wars are allways bad for your economy. one would have to be pretty silly not to notice this. An obvious solution here would be to withdraw all the troops from Iraq. It might not be the right solution. One can't neglect the fact that it will negatiovely impact US prestige. as well as lose them the support they get from Iraqi loyalists. But one has to agree that the less wars will be faught in the near future, the better for the common american. after all while America conquers the middle east with tanks. it is quite successefully being conquered by the chinese with their cheap sneakers. don't look at me like that, sweatshops hurt amercia just as much as they do the South East. and the chineese are far more numerous....

ahem... I've wandered off from the topic. to summarize:
Ignore provacateurs. and buy yourself a good book instead of going to see some movie.