Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Honesty At Last

I stumbled across an op-ed piece on the Drudge Report written by LA Times columnist Joel Stein. I highly encourage you to read this before continuing. Now, there was a time when I would drag this guy out back and kick the s#@! out of him for saying what he said. But, not right now. Actually, Mr Stein's column is a breath of fresh air from the anti-war crowd. Frankly, I've grown weary of the progressives parroting their favorite catch-phrase over the past year. Everyone knows what I'm talking about. You can hear it from Massachusettes to San Francisco..."I support the troops."

Whether it's Michael Moore, Howard Dean, Dick Durbin, The Dixie Chicks, David Letterman, Sean Penn or any other progressive panty-waist, they all seem to echo the same words.."I support the troops." This wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't preceded by a string of anti-military, anti-government, anti-president, anti-cause rhetoric. A typical rant from an anti-war progressive today sounds something like this...
"The war in Iraq is illegal...but I support the troops."
"The human rights abuses there are evil...but I support the troops."
"We're killing people for oil...but I support the troops."
"Raiding someone's home is terrorism (an actual quote from Air America)...but I support the troops."
"The president lied...the war is evil...we need to pull out now...Gitmo is run by nazis...this is another Vietnam...but I support the troops."

There's an obvious pattern here, and it's certainly not one of support. I wonder how Michael Moore would feel if I showed up at his house and said, "Hey, Mikey, just wanted to let you know that I support you, but your movies suck!" Doesn't sound very supportive does it?

The fact is, the progressive anti-war component of this nation does NOT support the troops. How can you support someone while condemning their deeds? But, of course, they would never come out and say they don't support the troops, because it's not politically correct and they would never win an election that way. So basically, their conviction that the war is wrong stops well short of actually VOICING that conviction to the fullest. Which is why I say Mr. Stein is a breath of fresh air. His words may be moronic, but at least he's honest and has the guts to say what the rest of his clan can't. I may disagree with him, but at the very least I respect him because he's not afraid to take a side. A line has been drawn, and Mr Stein has made it clear which side he's on. Courage, in any form, is admirable. And courage is clearly a lacking trait amongst the anti-war crowd. Now, excuse me while I drag Mr Stein out back...

1 comment:

Bloviating Zeppelin said...

Yes, I can, uh, I guess, "admire" Mr. Stein for his "coming out of the closet." And certainly no surprise that it was printed in the LA Times, another DEM paper hemorrhaging readers on a Toyama Maru scale.

I suppose the LA Times doesn't have editors anymore either -- likely one of the jobs cut due do revenue hits.

As I wrote in my post: "At least Stein is honest insofar as he has the guts to make his stupidity public, whereas many Left Wing people refuse."

Okay; I'll allow him that.

I'll also allow that Mr. Stein is a spoiled, coddled, puerile writer raised by Leftist parents and driven to private school in a succession of Audis, Lexus and Jaguars.

Life is tough.

Huh, Joel? GTFOI, bub.

The overarching immediate issue? The LA Times will continue to bleed readers and still not "get it."