Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Call it a hunch

"Any student who engages in or promotes sexual behavior not consistent with Christian principles (including sex outside marriage and homosexuality) may be suspended or asked to withdraw."

This is a quote from the University of the Cumberlands student handbook. This is a private Baptist school that can basically make whatever rules they want about what is acceptable behavior from its students. So this school can expel a gay student just like a private gay and lesbian college could expel me for being a Christian. Yet, something tells me that the mainstream media won't see it this way. Something tells me this college will be demonized in the press. Call it a hunch.

Here is the full story from Drudge.

Whether or not this school should do something like this is the basis for other debates, and it really doesn't matter. What matters is that they have the right to do it, and the mainstream and the far left should put their money where their mouth is when it comes to rights and support this college...or at least avoid chastising it. But, something tells me that won't happen. Call it a hunch.

4 comments:

Baconeater said...

Hey, you want free speech, why are you bothered by criticism.
I'm a Centrist, the far left actually can't stand me(if you don't believe me, visit my blog), but I think this college is no better than the Taliban.

Christian Fundies are dumbing down America and like the Muslims, are centuries behind. It is Christian Fundies that is taking away the rights of the people.

Yep, that college has the right to teach fantasies and bigotry. But it still sickens me and makes me feel angry and sad.

John Washburn said...

Wow, atheist! No better than the Taliban? Your perception of reality is stunningly distorted. Expelling someone from college, in my opinion, falls way short of...oh...beheading someone for exposing their ankles. It seems you don't see much difference in the two. Perhaps you should be more careful about your broad short-sighted generalizations.

Baconeater said...

The Taliban has their moral values and virtues and so does the Christian Right. Penalties are harsher in Islamic countries for breaking their particular moral code. But it is the same thing.
As far as I'm concerned let this Baptist college have as many rules as they want. It is better for anyone not going to that college. They are doing them a favor.
Speaking of short sighted generizations, I'm not sure beheadings occur that much for exposure of ankles. But at least they have the same attitudes towards gays as the homophobic Fundies.

BTW, I'm not gay, and I'll probably never watch Brokebank Mountain. But at least I have a choice to. If it was up the the Fundies, I wouldn't have a choice.

Dan Trabue said...

Given their statement in the student handbook, I'd side with the college, I reckon. Religious liberty, and all.

As a Christian, I may criticize their decision, but I'd stand behind their right to make it.